Hey there, readers! Welcome to farmingocean. Vitamin C is a nutrient your body needs on a daily basis. It helps protect your cells and keep them healthy. It gives you glowing skin and heals wounds quicker.
You also need this essential vitamin for healthy blood vessels, bones, and cartilage. Most people think oranges are the answer to vitamin C deficiency.
But in today’s article, we’ll be discussing12 foods with more vitamin C than oranges.
Are chili peppers on the list? What makes bell pepper and kale so special? We’ll be discussing all of this AND more…
Which are Vitamin C rich foods(Vegetables & Fruits)
- I know, this is a surprise, right? Chili peppers may not be for everyone, butthey have a ton of Vitamin C. Especially dried chili peppers. Just a half cup, chopped or diced, can give you as much as 110 mg of vitamin C.
- There are other advantages to dried chili peppers. Research has shown they contain a compound called capsaicin, which can help relieve pain in your joints and muscles.
- Chili peppers can be used in so many different foods, especially if you want to make them spicier. You can also ground them into chili powder, and use them as a seasoning. Give it a try.
- Do you like eating spicy foods? What’s the spiciest food you’ve ever had? Do you have a funny story?
2.Red bell pepper
- A cup of chopped red bell pepper is packed with vitamin C. One medium-sized red bell pepper gives you about 170% of your daily vitamin C, while you get about 90% from regular orange.
- The vitamin C in bell peppers can also help absorb iron from your gut. Along with vitamin C, red bell peppers are a great source of vitamin A.
- This can improve your eye health. Red bell peppers also come with a compound called capsanthin, which not only gives them their color but is also a powerful antioxidant.
3.Green bell pepper
- May not have as much vitamin C as the red kind, but it’s still packed with it. In fact, a cup of chopped green bell pepper gives you 120 milligrams of vitamin C, which is still 200% of what your body requires each day.
- The green variety of bell pepper also comes with a lot of fiber, which can help with your bowel movements. It also has a compound called lutein, which can improve your eye health.
- Looking for answers on all the latest health and wellness news? Hit that “subscribe” button, and join our millions of followers. Stay up to date on all our great Bestie content…
- Kale is rich in a number of important vitamins. This is why it’s become a popular food for health and fitness freaks.
- One cup of Kale gives you 80 mg of vitamin C. Along with vitamin C, kale also provides twice the amount of vitamin A your body needs on a daily basis.
- In terms of vitamin K, you get as much as seven times the amount you need. It’s no wonder kale is seen as a nutrition powerhouse.
- Kale has other nutritional benefits, like large amounts of minerals and fatty acids. It’s also packed with powerful antioxidants, which lower your blood pressure and have anti-inflammatory properties.
- For every 100 grams of broccoli, you get about90 milligrams of vitamin C. You also get a lot of fiber and vitamins, all of which come at the cost of very few calories.
- You can eat broccoli either raw or by cooking. Of course, the way you cook broccoli can alter the number of nutrients you get.
- Despite that, they’re still a great source of vitamins and minerals. Broccoli also has certain bioactive compounds, which can help prevent chronic diseases, such as cancer.
- One cup of papaya gives as much as 90 mg ofvitamin C. But that’s not all. Eating papaya can also help clear your sinuses.
- If you eat it on a regular, you can strengthen your bones and give your skin more of a glow. As is the case with many fruits and veggies, papaya comes loaded with antioxidants.
- Fermented papaya can especially reduce oxidative stress among older people. Papaya also has an enzyme called papain, which allows your body to digest protein. It’s also considered a solution to constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Strawberries are another great source of vitamin C. Just 150 grams of strawberry provides 90milligrams of vitamin C. This is about 99% of the recommended daily value.
- They’re also packed with folates and other compounds that improve the health of your heart. Strawberries also help slow the digestion of glucose in your body. This can help regulate blood sugar levels, and prevent type-2 diabetes.
- The fruit also carries other important plant compounds that can help your health.
- Cauliflower small portion of cauliflower can give you as much as 130 milligrams of vitamin C. Along with this, you also get 5 grams each of protein and fiber.
- You can cook cauliflower any way you wish without losing nutrients. Roasting and steaming are the more popular methods. But you can also mash the vegetable before eating it.
- Another great advantage of cauliflower is the antioxidants. These help to reduce cell damage in your body. They will also allow your blood to circulate easier.
- Brussels sprouts are among the healthiest vegetables available. One serving can give you as much as 75 of vitamin C.
- It also has phytonutrients and fiber, which are especially helpful in preventing cancer.
- Along with vitamin C, Brussels sprouts are also a rich source of vitamin K.Just half a cup is enough to give you 137%of your daily suggested intake. Vitamin K is especially useful in preventing your blood from clotting.
- Pineapple is another fruit that comes packed with vitamin C. One serving will give you almost 80 mg.
- Pineapple also has the enzyme bromelain, which helps break down the food you consume, and reduces your chances of bloating.
- Pineapples have always been part of traditional medicine, due to their healthy properties. The bromelain not only helps with digestion but also your immunity. It reduces the chances of inflammation.
- Another advantage of bromelain is that can help those suffering with arthritis. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, pineapple relieves pain in the joints.
- One serving of kiwi can provide you with as much as 140 mg of vitamin C. Along with the vitamin, kiwi also comes with significant amounts of potassium and copper.
- The fruit also has a lot of antioxidants, which combine with vitamin C to help treat people suffering from asthma. Kiwi also has a good amount of fiber, which allows you to digest food easier.
- It also has a decent number of bioactive compounds that help regulate your blood pressure.If you consume kiwi regularly, you’re less likely to suffer from strokes and heart attacks.
- Mango is one of the tastiest fruits you can eat. But it’s not just about the taste. Mango comes packed with a lot of vitamin C.
- One serving gives you as much as 123 mg of vitamin C.Mango’s also a great source for vitamins. Both vitamins A and C help boost your immunity and keep your eyes healthy.
- If you consume mango on a regular basis, it’s shown to be beneficial to your digestive system, because of the fiber content in the fruit.
- This is especially helpful for those suffering from chronic constipation. Vitamin C is certainly important for your health.