In this article, We will learn about 7 unbelievable uses or benefits of Onions, Onion Skins, and Onion juices in gardening and some recipes of how to make onion peels fertilizer?
Especially the onion peel fertilizer, Onion pesticides, and a new secret rooting hormone recipe to root your plant cuttings quickly and successfully. All that’s Coming up!
Well, Onion skin and peels are usually thrown into the bin. But starting today and after reading this till the end, you will never throw them again!
Onion skin and peels have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties and contain many useful substances like sulfur, quercetin, Potassium, phosphorus, zinc, iron, iodine, vitamins, pectins, saponins, flavonoids, and so on.
Have you ever wondered why tears start flowing out of your eyes as soon as we start chopping onions?
- This is Onion-Chemistry. Before we start with the 5 uses of onions in gardening,
- Let’s quickly know the scientific reason behind this interesting scene: While chopping onions, cells inside the onion are broken down and the gas that comes out forms sulfenic acid.
- This acid gets mixed with enzymes and forms a gas called propanethiolS-oxide. When this gas reaches our eyes,
- it gets mixed with our tears and forms sulphuric acid which causes irritation of the tear glands and that’s it.
- If you are not using earthworms for making your compost, You can drop onion skins and peels a little deeper into the compost bin and get nutrient-rich compost in the final result.
- But You should avoid adding them in your worm composting bin, this is because earthworms hate onions and similar porous substances.
2. Mulching of Onion Peels:
- For Beginners, mulch is a layer of material applied to the surface of the soil for benefits like preserving soil moisture, reducing weed growth, and so on.
- You can use onion skins for mulching and the dry onion peels will decompose soon and enrich your soil with potassium and calcium, which is so good for your plant growth.
- If you do organic vegetable gardening without using any chemical pesticides and fertilizer, you will certainly realize the importance of these organic recipes, especially if you do not have the universal organic pesticide like the great neem oil.
Do not worry! you can make a potent organic pesticide using onion and other stuff.-
- Take a Large Onion and drop it into a kitchen blender.
- Add 4 fresh cloves of garlic into this.-
- Add 2 teaspoons of Red Chilli Powder.-
- Add 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder.
- Blend this into a fine paste by adding some water.
- Now Add about 2 Cups of Water to this and mix well and allow it to steep overnight.
- Then in the morning, strain out the liquid using a nylon cloth or a fine sieve to get your pesticide concentrate.
- You can store this concentrate in the refrigerator.
To Apply as a pesticide,
- Use it in 1:5 dilution in water.
- That is to one cup of this pesticide and 5 cups of water and most importantly do not forget to add some 10 drops of liquid detergent soap for the surfactant effect and coat the leaves and retain the pesticide effect for a longer time.
- Use this twice-weekly until all pests are eradicated.
- This will successfully kill common pests like aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies, and many others.
How to make ONION PEEL FERTILISER?
- There are two methods to make onion peel fertilizer, one is to boil onion peels for few hours in water and the other method is to soak the onion peels in water for 24 hours.
- Some do not recommend boiling. So, take 2 to 3 handfuls of onion peels and drop in 1 litre of water and allow it to soak for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, strain out the liquid and use it as a liquid fertilizer. You can use it without dilution or with further dilution of 1:1 in water if you regularly fertilize your plants.
- Use it once in 15 days to seethe effect in about 3 months.
5. Rooting Hormone Recipe:
- Not really a rooting hormone, but you can call it a rooting agent. Onion due to its antimicrobial properties and when mixed along with other stuff will certainly improve the results of rooting your plant cuttings.
How to make ROOTING HORMONE RECIPE?
- Take ¼ Onion- Add ½ a Cup of Fresh Aloe vera Juice extracted from a leaf.
- Add some cinnamon or willow bark into this
- It’s better to have it Presoaked in a cup of water for 24 hours.-
- Now add this cup to the blender and make a paste or solution. Then Strain out this liquid to use as a rooting agent.
- Just dip the cuttings into this solution or apply this with your finger and plant the cuttings.
6. Add Onion Skins to Stock and Soup Recipes
- You can use onion skins to darken stock and give vibrant color to your soups and gravies.
- The skins may not affect the flavor but improve the appearance of the item you’re cooking.
- And, don’t forget the nutrients, onion skin is richer in antioxidants than the onion itself.
7. Get Rid of Leg Cramps
- Though there is no concrete evidence or studies to refer that onion peels and skin can cure leg cramps, you can still try this home remedy, and it may work because of the anti-inflammatory properties of OP.
- Boil the peels in water for 10-15 minutes, remove only the infused water or tea and drink it before the bed. Consume it for at least a week to see the difference.